Meeting Mitch Albom

It's every book lover's dream to meet their favorite authors. And I'm extremely blessed to meet one of my favorites last Saturday.


No words can express how happy I am to finally meet
(and hug) the man who inspired me for so many years <3
This is the same caption I wrote on my fb account.

Mitch Albom. The man behind "Tuesdays With Morrie", "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", "For One More Day", "Have A Little Faith", and "Time Keeper" had his first book signing event, here in the Philippines, for his latest novel "The First hone Call From Heaven", last February 22, 2014.

Mitch Albom's latest book
(As of 2014)


With my friend Airina while waiting for Mitch Albom
Mitch Albom has made a great impact in my life and so, upon learning his visit, I shouldn't miss the opportunity of meeting him.  I went to the said event with my friend Airina, and knowing that Mitch has a lot of Filipino fans, we decided to go there as early as we could.

We arrived at Glorietta's National Bookstore past 8 in the morning, less than 2 hours before the actual registration.  The first 200 persons were given free coffee and cookies and we're privileged to be part of it, as the saying goes, "The early bird catches the worm." And at 10am, we were guided to the mall's Activity Center to have our books numbered for the autograph signing.

I also saw my college
classmate Miray at the event :)

The book signing started at around 3 pm, an hour late of the scheduled time because an interview with Mitch was done. Through the interview, I've learned that he is part of a band, together with other authors like Stephen King. And when we,his fans, asked him for a sample he complied and sang an Elvis Presley song! But what really struck me during his interview was when he said that,"If you're here (on earth) just to take and take, then there's no sense in your life." For him the only way to live is to give. And that's the reason why he's here in our country, aside from promoting his newest book, he's here to donate 40 boats and build library tents in Tacloban.

Thousands of individuals that have been touched by Mitch Albom


We also got a marker with Mitch Albom's
name engraved in it.
When the time came for my book to get signed, he greeted me with a big smile and asked me how I am, all I uttered was, "Great! Great! I'm great!" After taking a picture with him, I asked if I could hug him and he said sure! While hugging him, he tapped my back and said, "Thank you, thank you very much." I could have said something to him but for some reasons words won't get out of my mouth, so i just hugged him tightly...

Indeed, meeting Mitch Albom is something I can treasure for the rest of my life.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning 한국어 (Hangugeo/Korean Language)

Pasinaya 2016 and Free Heritage Tour: Appreciating Philippine Art and History

Hotteok (호떡/Sweet Korean Pancake) for my Sweet Tooth