Fulfilling Weekend At Nagsasa Cove, Zambales

Going to places I've never been with my friends or visiting familiar places while creating new memories with my family is what I look forward to every summer. More than a month ago, I saw the event post of REACH about the beachineering for a cause in Zambales. What caught my interest in this event is the volunteering part because when I travel I'm always about exploring the beautiful sceneries and the famous/unique food the place has to offer. Exploring the place while sharing with locals and meeting new acquaintances are something that will make my summer getaway a memorable and more fulfilling one.

As early as four in the morning, the REACH team started walking in a dark sandy area in Pundaquit (jump-off site) while carrying our bags full of goods to be donated. We arrived earlier than our schedule so, we waited until the sun rises before we finally had our (more or less) 1-hour boat ride to Nagsasa Cove.

Pundaquit, Zambales
Jump-off site

Though the boat ride is quite long, you won't get bored or even feel tired because of the majestic mountains/hills and rock formations you'll pass by. And not to mention, of course, the emerald blue color of the sea.




When we arrived at Nagsasa Cove, each member grabbed and started pitching tents. Afterwards, the team started preparing for the outreach.

Tent is the only accommodation you can have in Nagsasa Cove

One of the REACH team member preparing to cook
for the feeding program 

Thank you to all who donated!
After the preparations were done, we gathered the Aeta kids along with their family members and started the outreach by playing some games. The kids we divided into 2 groups, for the younger ones, we played games like point the body part (ilong-ilong-ilong), bubuka ang bulaklak, and open the basket. As for the older kids, the boat is sinking and quiz game were the games being played.

Praying before starting the outreach

Ilong... Ilong... Ilong... (insert body part here) :P

The children holding on tight to their teammates as they play the boat is sinking... 

I reminisce my childhood as I watched the kids play bubuka ang bulaklak

"A smile from a child is packaged sunshine and rainbows." - Unknown

Whether the kids win or not, they will still get a prize, among those prizes are school supplies and stuffed toys.

After the tiring but fun game, the children replenished their energy with the yummy spaghetti, cooked by the REACH team members.


The outreach didn't stop after the feeding program, new and old clothes were given not just to the children but to the adults as well. Relief goods, hygiene supplies, and medicines were also given to adult Aetas.



Our team had lunch after the outreach and then rest while waiting for the sun to come down so that we can enjoy and wash away the summer heat by the clear sea of Nagsasa.


Dipping into the sea while feeding your eyes with great views, it's like hitting two birds in one stone. I'm really amazed by how close the hills/mountains appears, I know it's not good to be envious, but I envy the locals of Nagsasa, they get to see and be surrounded by the wide sea and huge hills/mountains each day. 



The hills surrounding the Nagsasa Cove is not just there for your view, there's a part of the hill where you can climb. The hill is a bit hard to climb, there are parts where you can't find a rock to grab on and the trail is quite small that you have to stop and give way for the other climbers who's on their way down (or up).

No matter how hard it is to climb the hill, it is all worth it because of the beautiful view that greet you. I forgot how many times have I mentioned the word "wow" while letting myself get immersed by the undeniably beautiful sight and for a moment, I almost forgot that I was in the Philippines.  



During the night, the team gathered around the bonfire and had conversations (I guess). I was so tired that day that after our dinner, I just let the tent embrace me and had a peaceful sleep despite the heat. But a few minutes before one in the morning, I woke up and instead of sleeping back in the tent, I had a few conversations with my friends under the night sky while lying on the sand, enjoying the shiny stars  and waiting for falling and shooting stars. And then, again, I fall asleep (yes, under the night sky) just until the crack of dawn. 

On the next day, after saying goodbye to Nagsasa Cove, we visited another island called Talisayen. While the other REACH team members plunged into the sea, some of us enjoy the shade provided by the many tall pine trees of the Cove. The camping ground of Talisayen is a lot bigger than Nagsasa plus it is not as hot as in Nagsasa (thanks to the many trees in the area.)

Some of the REACH members beating the heat at Talisayen

Yeah... I got the chance to emote at Talisayen... haha!!!


Back to Pundaquit, some of the members had their last shower and of course we had our final goodbye in Zambales.

I felt a sudden jolt of happiness when I witnessed the kids at Pundaquit having fun.
Their happiness matches the majestic background.

The REACH team.
Until the next outreach!

Simplicity. That's what you should have when you go to Nagsasa Cove, there is no bed, no cell phone signal, no wifi, no electricity (Nagsasa is generated by generator only) there. The heat in Nagsasa is no joke, so aside from simplicity, bring a lot of water, you can buy cold water there but be sure to bring a lot of money, the price of 1 liter of water in Nagsasa is double or triple of the original. And another must bring in Nagsasa is extra food. The Aeta souvenir vendors on the island, if you won't buy any items from them, they will offer you to (at least) swap their items for some food. You can't buy to all the vendors there, so might as well share some of your baon to them, selling souvenirs is their only source of income and it's not everyday that there's travelers visiting their place and not all travelers will buy from them, giving them some of your baon is a already enough for them.

My weekend is indeed a lot more fulfilling by doing something more meaningful, if you, too, want to spend a fulfilling weekend visit the REACH Facebook page and check on their travel-volunteering activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning 한국어 (Hangugeo/Korean Language)

Pasinaya 2016 and Free Heritage Tour: Appreciating Philippine Art and History

Hotteok (호떡/Sweet Korean Pancake) for my Sweet Tooth