A Worth Having Haircut

If Ice Bucket Challenge is for ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), then haircut challenge is for... Cancer. Yesterday, Matrix Philippines held a life-changing event at SM North EDSA called "8-inch Cut for Cancer Challenge". The challenge asked women to donate at least 8 inches of their hair for the benefit of Filipino cancer kids.       
                              
The lovely ladies who accepted the challenge

At first I was hesitant to join, not because I don't want to donate or cut my hair but because I don't know how short my hair would become after the challenge. I already have a short hair (about an inch below the shoulder) to start with, so if 8 inches will be deducted from it, I thought (I just thought) I'll be more likely close to being bald (kinda exaggerated but it's what I thought). I don't really mind being bald, but a somewhat bald female physical therapist is unsightly to the patients. But because I really wanted to do the challenge, I grabbed a tape measure and see how long is 8 inches in my hair and when I saw that I'd still be pleasant looking to my patients, I immediately told Peng (my highschool barkada who invited me) that I'll take part in the said event.

At the event, you'll get a free haircut (wow, right?) by the hairdressers of David's Salon (double wow, right?) and you can make some bracelets to be given to the children while waiting for your number to be called or after you do the challenge (triple wow! haha!).

See how Kuya Jayson, hairdresser from
David's Salon Market Market, cuts my hair.

Choose whatever string and beads you want for your bracelet

Doing a bracelet is never a challenge... if your hands aren't sweating profusely

This is the bracelet that I made
with my message to the child who'll receive this

Usually, when I had a haircut it's only because of two things: 1) I want a new look, and 2) It's freaking hot in the Philippines and I'm so tired tying my hair! It's always like that, I want a new haircut just for myself. But with this challenge, I've found a new reason for getting a new haircut. And with this realization, I was reminded of quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, "The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."

I say goodbye to my hair with a smile :) 

Before and after the challenge

Before and After with Peng :)

Note: Some photos were taken by Peng

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning 한국어 (Hangugeo/Korean Language)

Pasinaya 2016 and Free Heritage Tour: Appreciating Philippine Art and History

Hotteok (호떡/Sweet Korean Pancake) for my Sweet Tooth